Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chili Con Carne


Woo..Weee...baby! This. Is. Good. (Or maybe I was just really really hungry. It's possible. :)) Anyway, it was so good that I had to share it with everyone. I ripped the recipe out of an All You Magazine so I can't take credit for it. Good or bad. :)

I substituted a couple of things in the recipe. Instead of ground beef I used ground turkey, and instead of canola oil I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Prep: 10 min.
Cook: 1 hr. 5 min.
Serves: 8
Cost Per Serving: $1.24
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 cup low-sodium, nonfat beef broth
  • 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes with juices
  • 2 15-oz. cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • Salt and pepper

1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute' 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin and paprika.

2. Add ground beef and cook, stirring, until mixture is only slightly pink, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in beef broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens, about 45 minutes. Add beans and cook until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with sliced scallions and a dollop of low-fat sour cream, if desired.

PER SERVING: 226 Cal., 7g Fat (2g Sat.), 35mg Chol., 7g Fiber, 19g Pro., 23g Carb., 444mg Sod.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I put mine over rice. :)